learn how not to quit.



April 03, 2012

Opening Day

Tomorrow is opening day for the MLB. Here is my tribute to the sport I love best and part of an essay from Bart Giamatti’s, A Great and Glorious Game: Baseball Writings of A. Bartlett Giamatti. This essay makes me weep!


“The Green Fields of the Mind”
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. . .

. . . Whatever the reason, it seemed to me that I was investing more and more in baseball, making the game do more of the work that keeps time fat and slow and lazy. I was counting on the game's deep patterns, three strikes, three outs, three times three innings, and its deepest impulse, to go out and back, to leave and to return home, to set the order of the day and to organize the daylight. . .

1 comment:

  1. Mary
    I am interested in buyng this for Jeff for his bday in July.He is a baseball fanatic.How big is it and how much?
    xo
    Serena

    ReplyDelete